Conflicts that exist within teams or departments are known as Inter-group conflict. The level of intra-group conflict is high when there is lack of coordination between individual teams. Intra group conflict within departments is a healthy sign; since it helps each team work together and exhibit better performance when compared with that of other teams (Van de Vliert and Kabanoff 1990; Pondy 1969). However, conflict within teams, left unnoticed, deprives performance of an organization since a team is the basic unit of an organization.
When feelings between the two parties become intense they express hostility orally and in extreme cases physically (Debreu and Van de Vliert, 1997). Conflict episodes within groups are the most difficult ones to manage. High levels of trust and a value orientation of inter-personnel cooperation can lead to lower the effects of intra-group conflict. Conflicts within teams can be converted to yield positive result by organizing meetings between team members and encouraging healthy conversations (Peterson and Behfar, 2003). The project manager plays an important role in eliminating or minimizing the effects of conflicts that exist within a team.
Every individual working in an organization is important to it. The organization as well as managers must keep this in mind while making decisions in order to resolve conflicts. Programs like team building and team outing can stand as effective tools for managing intra-group conflict.
- Van de Vliert E and Kabanoff B (1990), Toward theory-based measures of conflict management, Pearson Education, New York, pp 199.–209
- Pondy L R (1969), “Varieties of organizational conflict,” Administrative Science Quarterly, pp. 499-505, USA
- Debreu C K W and Van de Vliert E (1997), Using conflict in organizations, SAGE, pp 101–115, London.
- Peterson R S and Behfar K J (2003), “The dynamic relationship between performance feedback, trust, and conflict in groups: a longitudinal study”, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, New Jersey
- What is Intra-group Conflict? - July 25, 2012
- How to prepare the conclusion of the dissertation? - April 4, 2012
- Check before you finally submit your essay - March 7, 2012
- Dissertation help in finance - March 3, 2012
- Why may impacts be greater when lending to women? - February 21, 2012
- How are the micro-finance models helping? - February 20, 2012
- Explain the meaning and basics of project management? - February 16, 2012
- How important is the data analysis part in a Dissertation - February 1, 2012
- How to refer to other author’s work in your dissertation? - January 19, 2012
- How to organize your time for your Dissertation? - January 18, 2012